Private Bankers: Questions to Ask
Below are questions that may be helpful as a starting point when interviewing potential professionals whose services you may wish to engage such as Private Bankers, general legal counsel, tax attorneys, CPA’s, investment bankers, financial planners, or any expert whose advice upon which you would ever base important decisions.
The IQD Team
1. How long have you been in practice?
2. Is this what you do exclusively?
3. Ask for client references. (They may not feel comfortable to give individual names as references, but more often will provide companies for which they perform services)
4. Let them know an approximate range of wealth for which you are getting their advice, and ask if that is a range with which they are either experienced or is that the range of their typical client?
5. Ask if you followed their advice and if there would be a regulatory, tax, or legal problem, would they be there for you during the audits, meetings, or legal proceedings until the situation is resolved?
6. Ask if their services/work or they themselves are insured, guaranteed, or bonded, and up to what limits?
7. Ask if they have had personal experience defending or arbitrating for clients in the field they are in
8. In those situations did they prevail, or were they able to successfully represent or defend their clients?
9. Ask for their education, certificates, licenses, and/or certifications they have achieved or have earned.
10. Ask them for any professional memberships or associations in which they may be a member in good standing.
11. Ask them if they offer any incentives, perks, etc for their clients.
Also, please make sure you check out their standing with state bar associations or licensing bureaus.
Check out the FINANCIAL tab at www.theiqdteam.com for additional information on checking the background of professionals.